No Products in the Cart
The handcrafted Artisan Fire Starter™ is one of our longest-selling Ferro rods. It’s more traditional in style and perfect for learning more traditional fire lighting methods using the natural tinder provided.
The Artisan Fire Starter™ includes a hardwood wood-turned handle, designed to be easily gripped.
The handles have been sanded and sealed with multiple coats of natural wood oil to protect against water and highlight the natural grain.
The large Ferro rod is made using Forest Fundamentals Ferrocerium™. We believed we have developed the perfect blend of softness and durability. Forest Fundamentals Ferrocerium™ produces large showers of molten hot sparks at 3,000º C (5,500º F). The largest size rod allows for 20,000 strikes. Imagine how many matches you would need to light 20,000 fires!
Includes a Stealth Fire Striker™. Made from heat-treated Stainless Steel the Stealth Fire Strikers™ include 4hex bits, a beveled straight-edged tinder scraper/prying tool, and also functions as a bottle opener, a pretty handy feature when sitting around a campfire! More info on the design process is available here.
The Artisan Fire Starter™ also includes a piece of natural fat-wood tinder. Fat-wood is the ultimate natural fire starter. Develop key bushcraft skills including batoning, creating 'feather sticks', and Maya Dust. The high resin content of 80% makes it very flammable - suitable for all weather conditions. There is enough tinder for multiple fires.
Everything is secured using a 550 'survival' Paracord lanyard which includes strands of copper wire, fishing line, waxed jute, and parachute cord. This multi-purpose card is invaluable in the field and has a range of uses including repairing shoelaces, fishing, snares, shelter building, etc.
• Handcrafted hardwood handles, sealed with oil
• Traditional materials & workmanship
• Includes Stealth Fire Striker™, 7-function striker
• Forest Fundamentals Ferrocerium™ ferro rod
• Available in 3 sizes: 8mm (12,000 strikes), 10mm (15,000 strikes), 12mm (20,000 strikes)
• Includes natural fat-wood fire starter, 80% resin content
• 3 years material and workmanship warranty
• Materials: Hardwood, Stainless Steel, Leather, Fat-wood, 550 ‘survival' cord
• Lanyard (specs):
• Dimensions (ferro rods): 8mm (W), 10mm (W), 12mm (W) x 70mm / 2.75” (rod striking distance length)
• Dimensions (all sizes): 120mm / 4.72” (Total rod length inc handle) x 50mm / 1.96” (handle length)