Our handcrafted Artisan ferrocenium rod is one of our most popular fire-starters rods, here's why:
• Wood-turned hardwood handle, designed to be easily gripped. The handles have been sanded and finished with multiple coats of natural wood oil, highlighting the wood's natural grain.
• The Artisan rod is 70mm (L) and is available in three widths - 8mm (12,000 strikes), 10mm (15,000 strikes), and 12.7mm (20,000 strikes) Imagine how many matches you would need to light 20,000 fires! The Forest Fundamentals Ferrocenium™ produces large showers of molten hot sparks at 3,000º C (5,500º F).
• Made from our unique blend of Forest Fundamentals Ferrocenium, an industry leader - we believe we have developed the perfect balance between softness and durability.
• Includes our updated Stealth 6-function striker which includes 4 hex bits, a straight-edged tinder scraper, and also functions as a bottle opener, a handy bonus feature when sat around your campfire! Secured using a piece of genuine leather cowhide cord (4mm thick) x (500mm long).
• Fat-wood is the ultimate natural fire-starter. Develop key bushcraft skills including batoning, creating 'feather sticks', and Maya Dust. The high resin content of 80% makes it very flammable - suitable for all weather conditions. Enough tinder for multiple fires.
What is a ferrocenium rod?
Ferrocenium rods or fire-steels are one of the most influential innovations in outdoor products. They are extremely reliable. Unlike matches or lighters, they very rarely break and require no fuel. They are 100% waterproof and windproof and will light fires at any altitude, making them the perfect survival tool.
Fire steels are a blend of ferrocerium, a synthetic alloy that produces hot sparks due to a rapid oxidation process that occurs when you strike the rod. We believe our unique blend of Forest Fundamentals Ferrocerium™ is an industry leader. It produces showers of molten sparks. We have developed the perfect balance between softness and durability. There is a reason Forest Fundamentals has set a new industry standard for ferrocerium rods.
The Artisan is perfect for outdoors people who value more traditional style gear. This would make the perfect gift for anyone that enjoys bushcraft or spending time in the great outdoors, particularly those interested in developing more primitive outdoor skills. This handcrafted product is extremely long-lasting and would make a unique gift to keep and remember!
This product is handmade and uses natural materials, so it is possible there is some very slight variation from the exact measurements specified.
All of our products have been designed and tested in the field to ensure they meet Forest Fundamentals' core standards of practicality, durability & aesthetics. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us!